Sunday, 27 April 2014

ANZAC Biscuits


Plain ANZAC biscuits ready for the oven

ANZAC Day drew the biggest crowds ever recorded in Melbourne this year.  A sign that "We Will not Forget". It was also the coldest morning for the Dawn Service at the Shrine of Remembrance.

Shrine of Remembrance Melbourne - Click Here
However, the day unfolded into perfect sunshine for the diggers to march through Melbourne to lay their wreaths and poppies at the Shrine, followed by one of the biggest days in AFL football outside of Grand Final Day, with the traditional game between Collingwood and Essendon at the MCG. You could hear a pin drop in the Stadium as the Last Post was played.

Watching the game with family with a bit of knitting between quarters! Love that footy jumper.
I was a bit late making my ANZAC biscuits this year - but better late than never.  I thought I would try a variation and add some homemade fig jam…..but in the end I decided why mess with a perfect recipe and stuck to the traditional ingredients. Crisp on the outside, chewy centre. See here for recipe.


Nan these are for you RIP 25 April 2003
          See also:


ANZAC Slice
ANZAC Biscuits

Joining with Belleau Kitchen for April Random Recipe and Ros at AlphaBakes  "A"










8 comments:

  1. I have never heard of ANAZC Day or the biscuits so thank you for the recipe and the understanding, can't wait to try them.
    Have a beautiful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was late making mine too! I always feel extremely moved when the last post is played - it's so haunting especially against the backdrop of silence. I always make traditional ANZAC biscuits too - I feel like a traitor messing around with the original recipe! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy baking Anzecs and the history and story behind them I never tire of knowing about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those biscuits look scrumptuous and sound like the perfect combination, crunchy and chewy. Your grandmother enjoyed a lovely long life. Wow 96 what an amazing age. I wonder if that's your granddaughter knitting... What a pretty girl.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crisp outside, chewy centre - sounds like the perfect biscuit to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,
    I've been trying to find your email address. I just saw your comment. Thank you. Oh it would be so lovely to meet up when you are over here. I really appreciate the friends that I have made through the blog.It would be so good to meet face to face. It's such a shame though that it's half term that week. My husband who teaches is on holiday and as It's our anniversary on 24th he's taking me away for half term. It would have been so good to catch up and say hello. I hope that you have a wonderful time with your mum. Maybe next time...fingers crossed,
    Have fun.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favourite biscuits, we have them regularly now, and it's always your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard so much about these biscuits and would love to have a go at them one day.

    ReplyDelete